This was the #Astroplant Hackathon
This was the #Astroplant Hackathon: two days full of new insights, futuristic ideas as well as practical concepts, and a much more complete AstroPlant prototype, thanks to 35 participants diving into the case wholeheartedly,
Four relevant and interesting presentations were the result of these days:
i) A possible educational program and approach, including a mockup of the application to be built
ii) A strategic path that defined a core group of space/urban farming enthusiasts as the first target group (for testing) and then moving into the educational realm
iii) An overview of things to pay attention to when designing the electronics and integrating the sensors
iv) An aesthetically beautiful casing and storyline, 3D mockup of AstroPlant, with several practical solutions for taking it into use and allowing for different target groups.
Most importantly, however, was the fact that various active participants of the hackathon approached us afterwards and asked us to stay involved. This means we can continue the open and community-based path we have been exploring the past few months, with a small but dedicated team of designers. Various organisations have also offered us help, including AVF (Association for Vertical Farming), GrowX (high-tech vertical farmer), Avionics (sensors), and Bulbo (growLEDs).
So where are we now? To go from initial prototype (IKEA-mod) to actual AstroPlant test-kit, the following steps are defined:
Short term – until Border Sessions 28 June.
- Set up a working group (advisory, designers, project management)
- Design testable AstroPlant v2.0 (to be tested)
- Produce 10 AstroPlant v2.0 and have it tested
- Document the development (open source)
- Communication – website, events (Seeds and Chips)
- Prep hackathon (including speakers, funding, food, location, work packages)
- Acquisition (additional funding) – event partners, corporate partners, funding (EU, educational, innovation subsidies)
Medium term – after Border Sessions
- Testing and dissemination (network)
- Developing educational content with educational partners
- Kickstarter and taking AstroPlant into production
Take a look at the visual representation or the current design below.
Again, thank you all for your ideas, effort and time and we are looking forward to seeing you soon.
Would you like to attend the sixth edition of Border Sessions? Click here to read more about this year’s programme.